Thursday, April 20, 2017

Fragment: Isn't he sweet?

From Bowra, Cecil Maurice. Memories: 1898-1939. London: Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1966.
When he [Gilbert Murray] was eighty-seven he sent me a postcard on a point of scholarship, and after dealing with it, added a postscript 'I'm getting terribly old, but don't tell anyone.' On his ninetieth birthday some of his old pupils gave him a lunch. I had written about him as a teacher in the Oxford Mail, and in proposing his health Dodds told of his own debt to Murray and how Murray had tamed him in his youth. Murray in his answer said, 'I think that, as Bowra says, I was a good teacher, and I think that I tamed Professor Dodds, for a young lady said to me the other day, "Isn't he sweet?"'
p. 227

1 comment:

  1. Be careful of you, they’ll ban you if you post too many of your own articles.Will be keep surfing. And your posts too.
    ดูบอลสด
    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน
    ผลบอลสด

    ReplyDelete