Friday, November 27, 2015

Fragment: Elevator Speech

Fragment from Tarler, David. “An Afterlife of Sorts.” Journal of Eastern Mediterranian Archaeology and Heitage Studies 3, no. 3 (2015): 270–76. doi:10.5325/jeasmedarcherstu.3.3.0270. http://www.jstor.org.ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu/stable/10.5325/jeasmedarcherstu.3.3.0270

“I used to be young and foolish, and poor but happy, but after a while, I was just foolish and poor.” That is the terse, “elevator” response I've been giving for more than 20 years to the question, “Why did you leave archaeology in Israel for law school in the United States?”
The decision to change careers (and countries) was not an easy one, and it took a long time. I had lived in Israel for almost 17 years, beginning when I was 19 and a transfer student from The University of Chicago to the Departments of Archaeology and Jewish History at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
page 270.

No comments:

Post a Comment