Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Fragment: Agent Provocateur

Fragment from Silberman, Neil Asher. “Help Wanted: Choosing an Alternative or Mainstream Archaeological Career?” Journal of Eastern Mediterranian Archaeology and Heitage Studies 3, no. 3 (2015): 306–12. doi:10.5325/jeasmedarcherstu.3.3.0306. [http://www.jstor.org.ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu/stable/10.5325/jeasmedarcherstu.3.3.0306]
Through the 1980s and 1990s, I published a series of books and articles on the politics and hidden ideologies of archaeology. To some proper academic archaeologists that made me a “journalist,” to others, a “historian of archaeology,” and to others who held an especially reverent attitude toward the academic discipline, some kind of an agent provocateur. “You are doing a lot of damage,” a well-known publisher of a biblical archaeology magazine once told me. The wife of an up-and-coming scholar chastised me for not being respectful of real archaeologists. And so it went. Journalists assumed I was not one of them but an archaeologist, while archaeologists saw me as some sort of unconventional hanger-on.
pages 308-309.

No comments:

Post a Comment